This Chocolate Truffle Pie is really delicious. It all started when I wanted a chocolate pie with mascarpone cheese – it was as easy as that. Mascarpone is one of my favorite cheeses because of its mild taste. It’s been in a Cannoli Poke Cake, a Cannoli Icebox Cake, and a Classic Tiramisu, and it never disappoints. I thought chocolate in a pie crust would be amazing, so I tried it. I also like the taste it imparts.
The pie is rather substantial. Instead of pudding, imagine a rich mousse. It has a mousse-like texture in the mouth. It is, however, considerably stiffer and nearly flaky. I know flakey sounds strange, but it’s difficult to put into words. It almost dissolves in your mouth.
- 2 1/2 cups oreo crumbs
- 5 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 oz semi sweet chocolate (I used Ghirardelli chocolate bars)
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- chocolate shavings, for garnish
- Grease a 9 inch pie pan.
- In a medium sized bowl, add melted butter to cookie crumbs and mix until combined.
- Press cookie mixture evenly into the bottom and up the sides of the pie pan, then set aside.
- Place 1 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream into a large mixer bowl and whip on high until it begins to thicken.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract and continue whipping until stiff peaks form. Set whipped cream aside.
- Place chocolate pieces, remaining 1/2 cup of heavy cream and butter into a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup. Heavy cream should mostly cover the chocolate chips.
- Microwave mixture until cream begins to boil, about 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk mixture until chocolate is completely melted.
- Add mascarpone cheese to chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Fold half of the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture.
- Spread chocolate mixture evenly into pie crust.
- Top pie with remaining whipped cream and chocolate shavings, if desired.