there are so many variations of shakshuka (also known as menemen in turkeys); a dish consisting of boiled eggs in tomato sauce which tastes slightly spicy. with so many different recipes out there to be chosen from various parts of the world, from Asia, Europe, or in other parts of the world that I might not know.
I hope, what I present can make the reader to develop this recipe better than what I have made, here I pair it with super sandwiches to absorb all the sauce.
But by using this super sandwich combination, you can make low-carbohydrate foods in a short amount of time, which is about 30 minutes. as usual I modified this recipe, so I used milled sausages, I combined the two and there I found different flavors. This food is perfect for all conditions, both for breakfast, lunch and even for dinner is perfect.
How to make it is also quite easy, first by frying the red and white onions until fragrant, then enter the fried sausage until the color turns golden yellow
Next, add the peeled and chopped tomatoes plus the spices that I have provided before
while waiting for the tomatoes to become thick sauce for about 15 minutes, I went and made a sandwich which I would later combine with the thick sauce I made earlier.
after the sauce is ready, make a little place in the boiling sauce for the egg which will later be mixed into one.
then cover a little (but do not need to turn on the oven) and slowly boil the egg mixed with tomato sauce until cooked, or maybe half cooked, according to your taste. imagine a half-cooked egg yolk meeting with thick tomato sauce. oh this tasty
Eggs in tomato sauce with sausages
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic , crushed
- 1 red or green bell pepper (capsicum), deseeded and diced
- 250 g | 9 oz lean sausages of your choice, casings removed
or ground sausage meat
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 3/4-1 teaspoon chilli powder (mild - adjust to your taste)
- Pinch of Cayenne (optional)
- 2x400 g | 14 oz tins whole peeled tomatoes , roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt to taste
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley or cilantro/coriander leaves , to serve
- Flatbread bread , to serve
- Heat oil in a large non stick pan or skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and transparent. Add garlic, bell pepper, ground sausage, cumin, paprika and chilli; cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is soft and fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and their juice into the pan with the tomato paste. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly (about 10-15 minutes). Season with salt to taste.
- Evenly distribute small indents into the sauce with a spoon and crack each egg into them. Cover pan with lid and cook until yolks are just set (it takes about 5 minutes). Using a spoon, baste the whites of the eggs with the tomato sauce, being careful not to disturb the yolk. Sprinkle shakshuka with parsley (or cilantro) and serve with flatbread, for dipping.