Lemon sweets are usually a wonderful treat, and these cupcakes are no exception. Fresh lemon juice and zest are used to flavor both the buttercream and the cupcakes. The end product is luscious lemon cupcakes with the perfect amount of lemon!
A half of a lemon slice is used to adorn the cupcakes, making them bright and joyful. This dish has such a unique taste and appearance that it’s guaranteed to be a success! Let’s begin baking with our lemons.
For the Lemon Cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups (163g) all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (56g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (60ml) vegetable oil
- 3/4 cups (155g) sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tbsp (90ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (60ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon zest
For the Lemon Buttercream
- 1 cup (224g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups (460g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4–5 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare a pan with cupcake liners.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- Add the butter, oil, sugar and vanilla extract to a large mixer bowl and beat together until light in color and fluffy, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Do not skimp on the creaming time.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until mostly combined after each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until mostly combined.
- Combine the milk and lemon juice, then slowly add the mixture to the batter along with the lemon zest and mix until well combined.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix just until well combined and smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated. Do not over mix the batter.
- Fill the cupcake liners about 3/4 full and bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.
- When the cupcakes have cooled, make the buttercream. Add the butter to a large mixer bowl and beat until smooth.
Add about half of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth and well combined.
- Add the vanilla extract, 3-4 tablespoons of lemon juice and the lemon zest to the frosting and mix until well combined.
Add the remaining powdered sugar and salt and mix until well combined and smooth. Add additional lemon juice as needed to get the right consistency and flavor.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes. I used Ateco tip 844.
Cupcakes are best when stored well covered and eaten within 2-3 days. They can be left at room temperature for about 24 hours, then refrigerated. Serve at room temperature.
Makes 12-14 cupcakes.