Vegan cake recipes are ideal for a handmade vegan Christmas party dessert, as well as a Halloween holiday party or a bake sale or potluck. Some vegan cake recipes may also be converted into cupcakes. They may be offered as a particular treat during a birthday celebration.
Although a vegan cake is better for the environment and has less saturated fats than a non-vegan cake, it is not a health food and should not be consumed on a regular basis. A piece of vegan cake, on the other hand, is healthier than two slices of vegan cake.
How To Make Raspberry Vegan Banana Bread
- 3 – 4 ripe bananas (approx. 300g peeled weight)
- 100 g soft light brown sugar
- 300 g self-raising flour
- 1 baking powder
- 3 tsp. cocoa powder
- 150 ml sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
- 150 g raspberries
- FOR THE FROSTING
- 75 g vegan spread
- 150 g icing sugar, sifted
- Few drops of vanilla essence
- Handful of banana chips and freeze-dried raspberries, to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan). Grease then line the base and sides of a 2lb loaf tin with parchment.
- Mash the bananas with the back of a fork and then stir in the sugar, flour, baking powder, cocoa and sunflower oil until well combined. Fold through the raspberries.
- Tip into prepared tin and spread to level. Bake for 1 hour until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 mins before removing parchment and placing on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the frosting: beat vegan spread and icing sugar together then beat in the vanilla. Spread over the top of the loaf, then decorate with banana chips and freeze-dried raspberries.